Pulmonary Function Testing and Respiratory Services
The Heart Station at Vassar Brothers Medical Center provides inpatient and outpatient services for adults and children for diagnosing Asthma, Emphysema, and other breathing problems.
If you have any questions or would like additional information please feel free to call us at (845) 431-5650.
What is Pulmonary Function Testing?
A Pulmonary Function Test is a group of tests that will help your physician determine the best way to treat you. During the test, you will be asked to breathe in different ways. It's important that you try your best. The Respiratory Therapist will explain each test, provide instructions and make adjustments to accommodate any handicaps you may have.
There are 3 groups of tests. Your physician may order one or more of these groups of tests. They include:
Group 1 - Spirometry
These tests measure how well air moves in and out of your lungs. During the testing you may be given an aerosol treatment to open the airways in your lungs. Then you will be asked to repeat some of the tests. From this procedure, your doctor will learn how your lungs react to medication.
Group 2 - Lung Volumes
These tests will determine your lung volumes and if you have problems getting air out of your lungs.
Group 3 - Diffusion Study
This study measures your lung's ability to get oxygen into your bloodstream. You may also be required to have an arterial blood test.
Are Translator Services Available?
If you do not speak English and can't bring a translator with you, please call us at (845) 431-5650 at least 24 hours before your scheduled test. We will provide one at no cost to you.
How long are the Tests?
Depending on the type of test, it will take between a half hour and a little over 1 hour.
Preparing for Your Test
1. Wear loose comfortable clothing.
2. Do NOT take any RESPIRATORY MEDICATIONS 4 hours before the test. (This includes inhalers and nebulizers)
3. Do NOT exercise 2 hours prior to the test.
4. Do NOT eat a LARGE meal just prior to the tests.
5. Don't smoke for 24 hours prior to the test (if unable to not smoke for 24 hours prior, please don't smoke 2 hours prior to the test).
6. A denture cup will be provided if you have loose fitting dentures.
7. Bring a list of all your medications with you.
8. Please arrive a half hour before your scheduled appointment time to register.
9. For tests scheduled prior to 6 PM you will enter the main lobby and go to your left to outpatient registration.
10. For tests scheduled at 6 p.m. or later, park in the visitor garage and go to the Emergency Room entrance for registration.
Scheduling an Appointment
Testing is provided Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. up to 7:30 p.m. If your doctor's office has not made the appointment for you, please call Outpatient Scheduling at (845) 431-5647.
Our team is a combination of specialties and includes: Registered and Licensed Respiratory Therapists, Certified ECHO Technicians, Certified EKG Technicians and Certified Neurodiagnostic Technicians.
Please feel free to call us at (845) 431-5650 with any questions you may have.