What is the Vassar Brothers Medical Center's Cancer Registry?
In recognition of the need for a systemized collection of cancer data, the U.S.established the first central Cancer Registry in 1923. The first hospital based cancer registry was established in 1926 at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Vassar Brothers Medical Center has maintained a cancer registry for over 40 years. The cancer registry at Vassar maintains data on patients diagnosed and/or treated for cancer at this facility and reports these cases to the central registry for New York State, the National Cancer Data Base and ultimately to the CDC, as required by law.
What Information is Collected by the Registry?
- Demographic Information: Age, gender, race/ethnicity, birthplace and residence.
- Medical History: Physical findings, screening information, occupation and any history of previous cancer.
- Diagnostic Findings: Types, dates and results of procedures used to diagnose cancer.
- Cancer Information: Primary site, cell type and extent of disease.
- Cancer Therapy: Surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormone or other treatments.
- Follow-Up: Annual information concerning treatment, recurrence, and patient status is updated to maintain accurate surveillance information.
How is this Information Used?
- Evaluate patient outcome, quality of life and satisfaction issues and implement procedures for improvement.
- Provide follow-up information for cancer surveillance
- Calculate survival rates
- Provide information for cancer program activities
- Allocate resources at the health care facility, the community, region or state level
- Develop educations programs for health care providers, patients and the general public
- Evaluate efficacy of treatment modalities
- Report cancer incidence as required under state and federal law
Is this Information Kept Confidential?
Confidentiality of patient identifying information and related medical data are strictly maintained. Aggregate data are analyzed and published without patient identifiers.
Cancer Experience Registry….Join the Movement! Please CLICK HERE for more information or contact Erika Mednick at firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll.